“The staff are to be commended for their work with such a complex group of young people.”Educational Psychologist
Our education team comprises the following staff:
Teaching & Curriculum
- An Education Manager (Daniel Lavery) who is responsible for overseeing the learning, teaching and curriculum, supported by an Assistant Manager (Yvonne Buchanan-Coutts).
- A group of six Classroom Teachers.
- Specialist Teachers, including an Art & Design / Cover Teacher, part-time Music, PE and Science Teachers, and a Volunteer Woodwork Instructor.
Day Service & Education Support
- An Education Manager (Lynne Reid) who oversees the Day Service and team of Education Support Staff, supported by a Day Service Project Leader (Leanne McLeod).
- A team of Education Support Workers and Social Educators, who support Class Teachers, allowing us for the majority of time to keep our class group sizes to six children with two staff. We also deploy care staff in classrooms in a targeted way, to support learning and behaviour.
- Two Project Workers who work with day children and their families.
- A Harmeny Outdoors Manager (Kyle Strachan) who oversees a team of three Outdoor Learning Facilitators and part-time Community Gardener, who provide adventurous and environmental activities and enable children to gain ‘skills for life and work’.
- Our Outdoor Team is also supported by a number of volunteers who have skills in adventurous and environmental activities, bike maintenance and horticulture.
All teachers at Harmeny are GTCS (General Teaching Council for Scotland) registered and bring a range of experiences and qualifications from their previous employment. Education Support Workers and Social Educators also have a range of qualifications, either achieved here at Harmeny or in their own time, and our Outdoor Team hold nationally recognised qualifications in adventurous and environmental activities.
The education team is overseen by a Head of Education.