“I come to the parents group once a month. It’s really good – makes me feel like it’s not only me with problems.”Parent
Within Harmeny, we have developed a Parent and Carer Group which any parent or carer of a child at Harmeny is very welcome to be part of.
The group allows the invaluable opportunities for parents and carers to get together regularly, listen to and support each other, talk about their children and consider issues relating to children and young people in residential care.
The group has a changing membership due to the average length of stay for a child at Harmeny being around three years. However, in the past, previous groups have initiated the following:
- Invited a rep from ‘Who Cares’ to facilitate a discussion around Children’s Rights and how they ‘fit’ with Parent’s Rights
- Worked with Glasgow School of Social Work and Langside College presenting at SIRCC National Conference in 2009
- Met with a representative from our local church to consider issues around faith and spirituality within Harmeny
- Connected with the local Kinship Care movement to learn from their experience
- Explored the possibility of establishing links with parents and carers from other residential settings.
In June 2011, we were delighted to win the SIRCC Residential Childcare Awards, for the category of ‘Innovative Partnership Work with Parents’. The award was given not just for the superb work of the Parent & Carer Group but for our approaches in working with the wider community of parents and carers involved with Harmeny.
For further information about the Parent & Carer Group please contact Tracy White, Residential Manager on 0131 449 3938 or at: email@example.com